Friday, December 9, 2011

F stop and Holiday trains

F stop is how wide open your lens is. When it's wide open, you let a lot of light in, but it also only allows for a fairly shallow area of focus in the picture. Compared to shutter speed and ISO, F stop seems to be the most complex of the settings. A small adjustment can make a big diff in how the pic looks.

Today we went to the Missouri Botanical Gardens annual holiday train display. This has become a tradition for my family and this year I was particularly excited to bring my camera along and try out my skills. It ended up being way more difficult that I imagined. It is an inside exhibit but there are huge windows so the light was all over the place (meaning it was really dark in some parts but really light in others) so some of my pictures ended up way over exposed. And I also sped my shutter speed way up to try tp catch the moving trains. I did a fairly good job w/ this and I'm pretty proud of myself for that :)

Train looks good here, but way too much light.
I love the colors they used this year. And the flowers as always were gorgeous.
No clue what I was trying to capture in this one. Too much going on, too much light, it's like Christmas overload.
This is the only pic I got of the boys together. When we first got there I thought, I should bring them here every year to take a Christmas card pic (which I'm not even doing this year since life is so crazy). About 10 minutes into the visit it became obvious that I'd be lucky to even get one picture of them together. Josh was too busy chasing some random kid around and Ethan wanted to finish searching for all of the hidden items in the scenes first. And some of them were extremely well hidden this year!

So for the rest of the pictures I stuck with subjects that stayed still and didn't fight with their brother...



1 comment:

  1. Tricia, love the pictures and stories (and laughing along with you). You've inspired me - I actually tried using my camera manually this weekend. I had my table set special for our anniversary and the sun was shining on some of the objects on the table so I tried to take a "natural light" picture. By the time I figured out how to set it up, the sun had set (HA). Oh well, there will be other days, right? Yolanda

    ReplyDelete