Monday, January 16, 2012
MLK Day
How do you begin to explain this to kids? Of course, you can tell the basic story of who MLK is and the context behind it, but when they start asking questions about WHY people did that or didn't do that and WHY some people hate other people, it really trips me up. Sometimes I think the wonderful things about kids' minds is that they see things much more clearly than we do; they see the solution as simple. Unfortunately there's so much history and context that's hard to explain in terms that he understands. And I guess it's more of me wanting him to know the answer (excuse?) to WHY it went on so long and WHY it took 100 years after the Civil War for real change to happen. But I want him to know, even if it makes me uncomfortable and even when he gets that look on his face where he's disappointed in what has happened. Disappointed in Adults. Who let it happen. Sometimes being a mom is tough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment